Your Questions Answered.
What is a service officer?
Veteran Service Officers (VSOs) maintain the best interests of service members, veterans, spouses and dependents. VSOs are able to assist veterans and their families in a number of different ways:
- Answering complex questions about Federal and State regulations
- Advising veterans on the benefits they have earned
- Directing veterans and their families to Federal, State, County, and local resources
- Representing individuals in hearings with the Department of Veterans Affairs
- VSOs are accredited and trained by the VA and Veteran Service Organizations like American Legion, Disabled American Veterans, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the Vietnam Veterans of America
VSOs are well-equipped to assist veterans and their families in applying for the following resources:
- Compensation and Pension
- Education & Training
- Burial and Survivor Benefits
- Military Records
Why is the VA asking for financial information when applying for health care?
If you fall within categories 7-8 (according to the 10-10ez form) income is considered. Not all veterans qualify or are entitled to all VA benefits.
Is there emergency financial help available to service members or veterans in the state of Michigan?
- Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency (MVAA) Financial Assistance Request: Military veterans: If you are having temporary financial issues and require assistance with utility bills, vehicle or home repairs, medical bills or other debts, please contact MVAA at 800-MICH-VET (800-642-4838) or fill out and submit an Emergency Assistance Form: https://www.michigan.gov/mvaa/other-benefits-and-resources/panel-links/emergency-asst#:~:text=FINANCIAL%20ASSISTANCE%20REQUEST,submit%20an%20Emergency%20Assistance%20Form
- Several Michigan organizations have received funding to assist Michigan veterans. For assistance call 1-877-4-AID-VET or visit: https://www.legislature.mi.gov/Publications/VeteransBenefits.pdf
- The West Michigan Veteran Assistance Program is a non-profit Veteran-run charity that helps Veterans and families with needs not met by other services: http://wmvap.org/
Are surviving spouses eligible for survivor benefits?
Possibly, this is determined on a case-by-case base, visit an accredited veteran service officer to find out more: mivabenefits.org/find
I am a veteran on low-income do I qualify for assistance?
If you served during a war-time era, it is possible you qualify for a VA Non-Service Pension which is based on service and income. Visit an accredited veteran service officer to find out more: mivabenefits.org/find
I was injured during the time I served, but never said anything, what should I do?
This situation requires building a case that you indeed did injury yourself during your time in service. This is not impossible, but it may take time to build. Visit an accredited veteran service officer to find out if a case can be built: mivabenefits.org/find
I want to start my own business and I am a veteran, where do I go for help?
- The Small Business Administration offers resources to assist veterans in starting their own businesses: https://www.sba.gov/about-sba/sba-locations/headquarters-offices/office-veterans-business-development/office-veterans-business-development-resources
- Veteran Readiness and Employment (Formerly known as Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment) VR&E was established to help with job training, education, employment accommodations, resume development, and job seeking skills coaching. Other services may be provided to assist Veterans and Service members in starting their own businesses or independent living services for those who are severely disabled and unable to work in traditional employment: https://www.benefits.va.gov/vocrehab/
Is there help for veterans looking for employment in Michigan?
Can you tell me about the claims process?
Please follow this link for a complete answer to this question: Understanding the Claims Process
Let’s get started.
Do not wait any longer! We have a team of highly trained Service Officers waiting to talk with you. These are Veterans themselves who are dedicated to honoring your service.