How do I contact an American Legion service officer?

We have service officers covering the entire state of Michigan. By calling our main office at (833) 648-3826, you can leave your name, last 4 of your SSN, zipcode and the best phone number to reach you, and the service officer closest to your area will call you back to address your questions.

  • They can assist you over the phone or you can make an appointment to see them in person.
  • Or you can search our service officer directory on our national website by visiting:
    • Is there emergency financial help available to service members or veterans in the state of Michigan?
      • Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency (MVAA) Financial Assistance Request: Military veterans: If you are having temporary financial issues and require assistance with utility bills, vehicle or home repairs, medical bills or other debts, please contact MVAA at 800-MICH-VET (800-642-4838) or fill out and submit an Emergency Assistance Form:,submit%20an%20Emergency%20Assistance%20Form
      • Several Michigan organizations have received funding to assist Michigan veterans. For assistance call 1-877-4-AID-VET or visit:
      • The West Michigan Veteran Assistance Program is a non-profit Veteran-run charity that helps Veterans and families with needs not met by other services:
      • The American Legion Family Support Networkis ready to provide immediate assistance to service personnel and families whose lives have been directly affected by America’s war on terror. Since Sept. 11, 2001, the nation’s active-duty military has been on high alert, and National Guard and reserve units are being mobilized in record numbers. As a result, the families of these men and women often find themselves unable to meet normal monthly expenses, and assistance is needed for a variety of everyday chores. These tasks include grocery shopping, child care, mowing the grass, fixing the family car and other routine household jobs.

        To address these issues, The American Legion has a nationwide toll-free telephone number, (800) 504-4098, for servicemembers and their family members to call for assistance.

        Can you tell me about the claims process?

        Please follow this link for a complete answer to this question: Understanding the Claims Process

        Where can I download the Advocacy Training Slides from Higgins Lake?

        Let’s get started.

        Do not wait any longer! We have a team of highly trained Service Officers waiting to talk with you. These are Veterans themselves who are dedicated to honoring your service.